Minnesota West Policies
Chapter 4 - Human Resources
4.13 Hiring Relatives
The following guidelines will be followed when hiring relatives of current Minnesota West Community & Technical College employees in order to create a working environment that is fair, promotes confidentiality and is focused on meeting the College's mission.
- For purposes of these guidelines, "immediate relatives" includes: parent, sibling, child, foster child, stepchild, grandparent, spouse or life partner, and in-laws.
- Immediate relatives of current employees will not be hired to work in the same department of the same building unless (a) all other reasonable options have been exhausted and (b) where all things are considered, this person is clearly the most qualified.
- If it is in the best interest of the College to have both individuals working in the same department, the College President may make an exception after all reasonable options have been examined.
- At no time shall one employee supervise, directly or through another, a relative.
- At no time shall an employee serve on an interview or search committee of a position for which a relative is being considered.
- These guidelines will not affect the current employment of those employees now working with an immediate relative. Exceptions to this guideline may be made only at the discretion of the College President.
Approved by: Ron Wood, President
Date: July 1, 2003
History & Revision: