search search close close

Financial Aid

Student Responsibilities

Federal and state regulations require that all students maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to be eligible to receive financial aid. The purpose of this requirement is to encourage all students to progress steadily at a reasonable rate toward graduation.

  • Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

  • Students must apply annually for financial assistance to demonstrate need.

  • Students are responsible for notifying the Financial Aid Office of any scholarships they will be receiving from outside sources.

  • Students must be enrolled for all courses by the drop/add deadline each term.

  • Students must provide accurate and factual information including changes such as withdrawal from school, reduction of number of credits below full-time status, any change in name or address, defaulting on and/or owing a refund of Title IV funds to any institution.

  • Students must be accepted and enrolled in a degree or certificate program.

Financial aid is provided for the purpose of attending school. It is the responsibility of each recipient to use his/her financial aid for educational purposes and carefully manage the funds provided.

Considering withdrawal from the college?

A portion of all aid received must be refunded to the appropriate aid programs upon partial or full withdrawal from school.

If you are receiving any type of federal financial aid (grants or loans), your withdrawal prior to the 60% point in the term may cause a repayment of funds received and can prevent you from receiving federal financial aid in the future. Students who are in default on any education loan will be denied financial aid.

A total withdrawal may also impact your ability to enroll at Minnesota West Community & Technical College in the future. If you have a student loan, you need to complete an exit interview in the Financial Aid Office.

You are advised to discuss this with your advisor prior to withdrawing.